The wife and I watched The Verdict tonight and I got all worked up about great lawyer movies. So here are the ten greatest lawyer movies of all time, brought to you by your trial lawyer turned blogger:
1. To Kill A Mockingbird. A lawyer who stands against a racist majority for righteousness and justice. The best of movie of them all.
2. 12 Angry Men. This movies captures the idealism about juries that makes me proud I’m a trial lawyer. There is nothing that compares to the collective intelligence of twelve jurors. This movies proves it.
3. The Verdict. Redemption in the context of justice obtained against the odds and in the face of corruption, a biased judge and unscrupulous defense attorneys.
4. A Few Good Men. Maybe the best dialogue and trial scene in any lawyer movie.
5. A Civil Action. Based on a true story. The most realistic of lawyer movies. My non-lawyer Christian friends weren’t so thrilled about the movie because it didn’t have a happy ending. I loved it because it was a realistic portrayal of life at the courthouse.
6. Class Action. Justice prevails. The bad guys lose. A feel good winner.
7. Erin Brokovich. Based on a true story. Shows the importance of having a good legal assistant. Fortunately, I have one of the best.
8. Amistad. Based on a true story. I read the real case after seeing the movie. Thank you Lord for courageous lawyers.
9. Reversal Of Fortune. I read the book also. Based on a true story. Shows how good lawyering can make a difference, particularly when the evidence is really strong against your client.
10. Intolerable Cruelty. Funniest lawyer movie of all time. Plus, I had to include a Coen Brothers movie. What God has put together let NOMAN (National Organization of Matrimonial Attorneys Nationwide) put asunder. If you’ve seen the movie you know what I’m talking about. Funny movie.
If you haven’t seen these movies, really they are all great movies and you will not be disappointed. GS